CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Koen's Nose

Koen Before Surgery
Koen at hospital after surgery
Koen a few days after surgery.
A few weeks ago Koen got his nose banged at a friends house on their trampoline. It bled a lot but there was no bruising so we didn't worry about it. A little over a week later Koen's nose swelled up. It was a Tuesday and I took him to see Dr. Shah. The doctor said Koen has strep throat. I asked about the nose because that's why I was there and he just said that it was unrelated to the strep. I tried to get more info about what I should do about the nose but he wouldn't answer my questions. He prescribed an antibiotic and told us to come back in two weeks. I asked if that would help bring the swelling of the nose down and he said yes. I gave Koen the antibiotic for three more days. Nothing was changing and he was just miserable so I decided to take him to a walk in clinic because I didn't want to go back to the same doctor. The clinic took x-rays and said it wasn't broken but that he had a bad infection and needed to see an ears nose throat doctor right away.
I took him in that same day. It was Friday. The ENT doctor Dr. Reddy said he needed surgery right away. We had to wait until that evening because Koen had just eaten lunch. We went home, made phone calls to arrange baby-sitters for the next day and went to the hospital. Dr. Dumas performed the surgery and said things went fine. Because he had the bad infection for a few days the dr. was worried about the cartilage. Koen stayed in the hospital until Sunday afternoon and Dr. Dumas was very helpful and even funny which Koen liked. I asked him what would have happened if I would have just waited the two weeks like our dr. told us to. He said that I wouldn't have waited because Koen would have been so bad he would have ended up in the ER that weekend anyway. I asked what the damage could have been and he said it would have been BAD being as the nose is so close to the brain. Mom had already told me the same thing.
So we went home and Koen improved. We went back on Tuesday prepared for another surgery. Dr. Dumas said Koen's nose looked surprisingly good and that we didn't need to do surgery that day. He said he will still need cosmetic surgery when he is 14 or 15 years old. We teased Koen that he might have an ugly nose for awhile but he'll get it fixed before it's time to start dating.
We were supposed to see the dr. again Friday but the patient before us took so long with him and we had to get back to meet the other school kids at home that we had to reschedule for Mon. I'm really bummed too because Koen's nose isn't looking as well anymore. It doesn't have anymore infection but it is flattening and widening at the bottom. I'm thinking the doctor might still have to do that surgery he was going to do last Tuesday. He said he would just take cartilage out of his ear and put it in the nose. He said the ear won't miss it. I sort of hope that Koen can have the surgery because his nose looks so strange and he'll be able to breathe better.
So that's what's happening so far. I'll comment about what happens on Monday. And so far it looks like Koen's modeling career will be out of picture. Hardy Har Har.

12 comments:

Ruthykins said...

oh, i hope he gets better soon. are you going to get a new doctor?

Puphigirl said...

Could you post a pic of the nose?

greenolive said...

Yes, we are looking for a new doctor. I've tried the ones in Huntington that accepted our insurance now I guess I'll have to look in Fort Wayne. I took pictures with my phone and I'll try to figure out how to get them on here.

EmmaP said...

um. WOW! poor thing! I hope he will continue to get better!!!

Rhonda said...

wow. Good thing you did not wait! A mothers instincts are there for a reason eh? glad he got in for surgery so quick and hope he gets better soon! Poor thing. How old is he?

greenolive said...

Koen is eight.

okeydokeyifine said...

Keep on Keeping on. Just hang in there. Like they say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Marie said...

So sorry Sarah! I'm looking for a new doctor right now too. It's something you gotta do when things don't feel right. Good job listening to the Spirit and taking Koen in. You are a good mama.

greenolive said...

We saw Dr. Dumas yesterday and he said Koen's nose is still looking very clean on the inside which is great. No infection. The outside is what he had expected to see earlier. He is still going to wait 6 years or so before doing another surgery. I said something to him about it being cosmetic surgery and if it would be neccessary or not. He told me it was absolutely not cosmetic but reconstructive and he said, "I'm going to write that down right now in the chart" He did. I guess he figured just incase he wasn't around or if we moved that it wouldn't be missed. He did say with the way it looks they most likely will not get cartilage from the ear but from his ribs. As long as they know what they're doing, I'm okay with anything.

okeydokeyifine said...

yay for the ribs.

greenolive said...

I really wish I could make Dr. Dumas our family doctor. I asked him a lot of questions and he always humored me and answered them. I do already have a referrall to a good doctor in Fort Wayne. Let's hope they take my insurance.

greenolive said...

and I don't know why I spelled referral that way.