CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fair Week

I love going to the fair. This week is the Berrien County Youth Fair which is the one that we go to. I like it because they don't have the games there. It's just animals, rides, the commercial buildings and the FOOD! This year we had the perfect fair experience. I will now tell you the parts that made this the best fair experience yet for the Bullocks.
First we went on Monday the opening day. We got there at 6:30 am. We took our breakfast with us and we slept in the van until it was time to go walk around. We watched the tractor pull. That is Tony's main part of the fair. The boys liked it and even I got into it. We went through the commercial buildings which is so much fun. I know when I was a kid I thought it was boring but now we all love going through for some reason. We got to watch a woodcarver make a bear, a dolphin, and a bird. The boys got to go through a farmer's display where they got to gather eggs, milk a cow, pick cherries, go fishing, dig potatoes and a couple other chores. They also got to play in a corn box. It was like a sand box with buckets and shovels but it had dried corn kernels instead. They had a blast in it and it was so clean.
That was pretty much all we did on Monday. We went back Tuesday morning at 7 am. We ate breakfast in the van again and then the kids and I walked around the rides to pick out which ones we would ride later while Tony got a couple extra hours of sleep in the van. After we got Tony we ate some Korn Dog corn dogs. This is my favorite place to eat at the fair because they have the best corn dogs and breaded cheese on a stick. They also only charge $1.50 each. That is so cheap compared to all the other fair food. Oh I guess I should explain why we go so early to the fair. It's because I'm cheap and I don't want to pay the entrance fee. Tony says it's like stealing but I just don't think it makes sense to pay so much money when you could get in free by going early. I don't know if that's dishonest or not. So anyway, back to the food. We also took our own apple juice and we used drinking fountains to keep hydrated. Any way to save a couple extra bucks.
Alright, then we got to the rides. Koen and Eades were big enough to go on some of the adult rides so I went with them and Tony took the younger ones on the kiddie rides. Koen and Eades and I had so much fun. We went on the scrambler, the gondola, the the crazy dance or twister, the bumper cars, some insane ride that I thought I was going to wet my pants on, the gravitron or starship 2000, the spider, the slides, and some hang glider thingy. It was so much fun. We went on discount day so it wasn't too expensive either. It was great to go with Koen and Eades. I think it strengthened my mother/son bond with them. We literally rode until we were sick.
We met up with Tony and looked through the R.V.s and sat on the tractors. We saw a dog show. We went through the wonders of life barn. We looked at Tony's mom's picture of when she was one of the fair queens. We ate some cotton candy. We saw a ton of friends and our kids played like wild animals while we sat and talked. We stayed all day until night. Then we went on a couple more rides to see the lights. It was great.
We got home and the kids just crashed. We did everything that we wanted to do. The kids can't stop talking about it. We set the bar so high that I don't know if we'll ever be able to beat this year's fair. We'll still try though.

7 comments:

Springbubble said...

that was fun! i've always wanted to take my son to those places but we d0n't have any in the province. We still need to go the city to experience that. Just ask your hubby and he can describe my province to you and you'll kn0w how boring it is here. No fun places to go. You make me smile when you said the things about discount, and cheap f0ods, and getting in so early so you wouldn't pay for the entrance fee. I guess m0st m0ms are like that.

EmmaP said...

i haven't decided if making your kids sleep in the van like gyspeis and "stealing" your way into the fair at the butt-crack of dawn is fun or torture for the kids... either way, i am glad you had fun!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I live in a very small country town in England, and every year we look forward to the fair coming! I love all the hustle and bustle of it!
Everyday life is the usual hum-drum of horses and roundabouts, but at this time of year something exotic like a gaily painted ostrich comes around, and everyone looks forward to it!

Puphigirl said...

You are making me drool for a corn dog! What I miss from our Elkhart County fair is the Elephant Ears. Nobody has them at the festivals I've been to in Utah. Everything is scones.

greenolive said...

huh, I didn't know that puphigirl. That's too bad, elephant ears are a must and we did all share one this year. I forgot to mention that. We don't go to the Elkhart fair because of the smoke and the carnies but I do have a lot of great memories of going there.

Ruthykins said...

at our little festivals in carson city sometimes there is a vendor that will sell elephant ears. if you order one they will ask where you are from. the only people who buy them out here are from somewhere else.

okeydokeyifine said...

Brings back a lot of memories..... Thanks and I am glad you had a great time.