CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 15, 2010

Amish Dinner


I'm planning another Amish dinner right now. I thought I was getting a late start because I usually like to get invites out 6 weeks in advance. I ended up getting a night scheduled with Aunt Lorene for April 24th. That gives me plenty of time. I already set up an event on Facebook and invited a ton of people from Elkhart. I am so surprised. Some have already responded that they'll go and a lot have said maybe. Plus they have been spreading the word and inviting other people to go. It's so exciting to me. This will be the biggest group that I have going. Now I wish that I didn't plan it for so far away. That's okay, because I hand out invitations to people in my ward and they take forever to RSVP.
I do an Amish dinner every 6 months. That is just the right amount of time I've found. It's usually about the time people start asking for another one. So I've been having one every April and one every October. I really enjoy hosting them. It's fun to see Aunt Lorene and Uncle Leo. It's fun to make the invitations. It's fun to eat the food and chat with friends. It's fun to see people practically having to be rolled out because they ate so much. It's nice to share a culture with others.
Now I just have to wait for about a month to see who all is coming. I can't wait to call Aunt Lorene back with a huge number. It was great talking with her when I called about a date. She said it was syrup time again. She said she had been out there all week cooking it. She called me at about 10:30 that night after just finishing for the day and she said she couldn't wait to get back out there the next day bright and early. I could hear the giddiness in her voice. It was refreshing to me to picture her out there stirring the syrup and Uncle Leo stoking the fire. We watched them do it last year. The boys thought it was pretty neat and the smell was absolutely amazing. She remembered that we saw them doing it last year. I was surprised she remembered because we just sort of stopped by to set up a date for a dinner. She sent us home with a jar. I'm not counting on that this year. But I will say that if she did give us another jar, I wouldn't mind.
So that's one thing I've been up to lately. I'll write another post after the dinner to say how it went.

3 comments:

EmmaP said...

I am sooo jealous. Do you call it the friends of Sarah dinner? Lol. It's things like this that make me miss working for delta.

Puphigirl said...

I really miss having syrup candy/taffy. I wonder if at the next reunion we could have some of that.

Ruthykins said...

we should do some syrup candy at the next reunion.