CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Roulette

I named my younger brother Roulette. This guy is always willing to take a risk. He is also very lucky physically. He was accident prone growing up braking bones and bursting ear drums and things of this nature. His eyesight wasn't very good so I'm sure that accompanied by his active nature and willingness to try anything ended him in the emergency room a few times. He also was involved in several car accidents. Every time he was able to walk away. It always could have been worse and this boy is just good at dodging bullets. I also thought the name Roulette sounded pretty cool so it fits him.
As my younger brother we spent a lot of time together along with our younger sister. Our mom dubbed us The Three Little Ones. We were usually playing nicely and I don't remember us fighting very often. As we grew to teenagers we still liked spending time together. He was a fun kid and he was a good brother.
One summer we were in single adults together. Some of my favorite moments were spent that summer with him as we hung out with friends and really got to form a special bond between us. I think as his older sister I feel like I want to protect him from things. I also want him to know how terrific he is. It's interesting the strong feelings being an older sister can invoke in a person. Right now he's serving our country overseas. I love hearing from him and I'm happy when he's happy. I can't wait for him to come home so we can get together again.
Some things about my brother that people should know is that he is a great listener. If you need to talk to someone he is the perfect one to talk to. He is very kind and his sense of humor can always cheer you up. He also tells you how it is. I remember once during the aforementioned summer I was having a hard time with TMJ. Sometimes it was really painful and I complained. Since we spent so much time that summer I'm sure he had enough of my whining. So one day I was having a pity party and he told me to just buck up and be happy. He was right. Being in a bad mood about it wasn't helping. I respected him for saying that and it really helped my mood.
My brother is also silly. We had so much fun at college, us three little ones, being silly and goofy. We were never bored. One more thing about this guy is that he can dance. When we were in youth many of the leaders were impressed with him because he was the only guy out there busting a move. Us three little ones would just dance our little hearts out having a blast. I miss those days. I just don't move like that anymore. As an adult when I would chaperone dances for the youth many of the leaders I had back then were also in attendance. They'd come up and talk about my brother and how they needed more young men like him. They would talk about what a great dancer he was. I would think, hey, I was out there too. But it was true, he was a great example that a young man can be cool and dance at the same time. Just watch Footloose.
We also sang together a few times. I always liked those moments too. I remember once we performed a duet at church for R.S. or something. I was so nervous but he held us together. We also sang in a group for solo and ensemble and us three little ones sang together at church a couple times. He has a good voice.
So you see this is one awesome guy. Hopefully someday when he's out of the army he'll settle somewhere close to me so we can see each other now and then. For now I pray for his safe return and that he will be protected on a daily basis.

5 comments:

Ruthykins said...

whenever i think about us dancing together i always remember "stayin' alive". we would do the moves that we learned from "airplane" and we had other moves that we made up. we were so used to these that one person would do something and the other two would just know exactly what to do. once, when we were all at college together, i remember being at a dance and "stayin' alive" came on. we stood on the stage area and just danced. there were others up there, too. when the song was done we came off the stage and a girl asked me where we learned our routine. i said it wasn't a routine, and that we were just following eachother's leads, but i don't think she believed me.

Rhonda said...

#1. very cool memories about your little brother!

#2. Please pass along our thanks for his service. We know all too well, in our family, the sacrifice that it is. We appreciate him and what he does!

Puphigirl said...

Due to his many car accidents as a teenager, I was surprised when one of his job on his mission was to drive for the AP or something. Then, he joins the Army and now his reckless driving makes sense. You need to be daring to drive in war zones.

EmmaP said...

i have had too many dreams (nightmares rather) of attending his funeral. then mom called me one day last week. I about had an anxiety attack. I mean, in the past, because of our opposite work schedules, she ALWAYS emails or texts, etc. she NEVER, EVER, or Hardly Ever calls. So, when I saw I had a missed call, my heart skipped a few beats. luckily, she followed up with a text before i had a chance to listen to the voice mail and it had nothing to do with roulette at all!

okeydokeyifine said...

Yes, many a prayer was said in his behalf as a youth ans continue to be said now for him. He was on a first name basis with the ER. As soon as they saw him come through the door it was like Norm on Cheers. I know that he is being guarded and guided. And just want him to tell him how much I admire and love him. So like momma always said... be good and have fun, remember who you are and what you stand for. Love You.