CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Uncle Remus

I have one older brother and the nickname I gave him is Uncle Remus. Samuel is the type of person who everyone gathers around at a party to hear what story he's going to tell. He's very funny and he really knows how to tell a joke or a story. He's also very kind just like Uncle Remus. Samuel would give you the shirt off his back. He's a very good friend. I'm the type that is friends with the people who I'm around. Sam stays friends with people forever. He is good at staying in touch and getting together with old friends. I think that shows how loyal he is. He is also a great worker. His employers always love him and his fellow employees sure enjoy having him around. I love hearing tales of his workplace because Samuel can make it sound like the funniest place on earth.
Samuel has been referred to as a momma's boy. I don't think he minds that at all. They say if you want to know how a man will treat his wife look at how he treats his mother. I can see that between Samuel and his wife. He's a great husband.
Samuel has had some tough times with his health. He's had some scares, but he continues to be positive. There are some things he can't do like swimming. He can't because of a catheter he will always have. Besides keeping him from swimming it's also a pain in the neck. He has to keep it clean and drain it and all that stuff. To me I'd make a big deal out of that. But he just sees it as a part of his life and leaves it at that. His attitude is what amazes me.
One time I think about a year ago, Samuel and I got to go out to dinner with some friends. We hadn't seen each other for awhile before that, but we just could not stop laughing. Nobody else at the table got the jokes but we could not control ourselves. It was so funny and it reminded me of old times. Sometimes it's bad to get Millers together because we can get into some giggle fits especially during church. I seem to remember one patriotic Sunday and one stake conference where us four little ones really lost it. Good times.
So anyway, Uncle Remus, my brother, holds a special place in my heart. He's a good honest man who has a good reputation. He can make anyone smile, which makes him very special. I'm also lucky because he lives close to me. I'm thankful for that. If you don't him you're really missing out.

5 comments:

Puphigirl said...

I love the stories he tells. Samuel and I have many things in common like music, bands, comedians, and TV shows. Sometimes, when we get together, which hardly happens, I am surprised how much alike we are. Funny, when we were younger I didn't like him. Something about him bothered me. But now, I think we get along just fine.

EmmaP said...

puphigirl, correction: you didn't like ANY of us when you were younger.

and I think for other reasons, Sam & I are a lot a like. We tend to develop the same type of friendships, and like the crowds at parties and enjoy the storytelling. I remember how ironic it was in high school at how many friends I had that had siblings in Sam's grades and he was close to them.

I can identify with the friends thing... I can go 10 years without seeing friends from college, but when we get together, it is just like old times.

And you're right about the Miller thing too. The weekend right before baby Mary died, Ruth, Mom, Dad & I were doing Sealings at the Reno Temple. The officiator pronounced a family name quite peculiarly. And because it was a family name, it kept coming up over and over. Finally, I saw Dad smirk out of the corner of his mouth. That was the only trigger I needed. And Ruth had no chance after I started giggling. Mom tried, bless her heart, but she laughed too. we pretty much laughed for the next 30 minutes while a young couple kept looking at us like we were soooo weird! hahaha! probably the funniest sealing session they'd ever been too. The officiator didn't know what to think. I figure, since they were family names, well -- they are **family** so they'd understand. hehehe.

okeydokeyifine said...

The strippling warriors were Momma's boys too. I am very much pleased with the man Samuel has become. He faced major surgery twice in his life. Once as a baby, he spent his first birthday in the hospital and had to learn to walk all over again. And the second as an adult. He was blessed through both of them and I think the major blessing is his attitude toward life. Live, Love, Laugh could be his motto, because that is how he lives. I love you and admire you greatly son.

Ruthykins said...

yes, giggle-fests tend to pop up at the most inconvenient times. i remember that 4th of july. the whole pew was shaking. i don't remember anything about a stake conference, but i do remember the sealing session with emma. that was great. the officiator really didn't seem to mind.

i like that you called samuel uncle remus. now, if we can just get him to sing zipadee doo da to some cartoon birds we'd be in business.

mrbusdr said...

Actually, the young couple at the sealing session told me afterwards that they had the best time ever at the Temple. They knew that Heavenly Father was smiling too.