CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ipod

My second oldest sister I named Ipod. My sister is very musically talented. Growing up she hogged the piano, I mean she played the piano relentlessly. It paid off because now she can play anything. I named her Ipod because she plays music but also because ipods are cool just like her. They are sleek just like her. Teenagers like ipods and teenagers like her. She is in style. Also, because I know she listens to music a lot, I mean, she listens to a lot of music.
Emma has been a great older sister. She was called Little Mother and she helped watch me when I was little. I remember playing with her and she would tell me what part I was playing and what I should be doing. I was often Tammy and I was just a nice little girl going to school. It was fun playing school with her. She was a great make believe teacher. When Emma was growing up she had a style all her own. Her fashion sense was compared to that of Denise Huxtables. For me this meant receiving hand-me-downs that I just couldn't seem to pull off the way she could. I did my best and treasured every article of clothing.
Emma is a great story teller and when I shared a room with her it was great listening to her tales and tips. She was full of them. She seemed to know everything. When she began working she would take me to the soda fountain for sodas. I loved it. When I got a job at the same drugstore I did the same with my younger sister a few times because I enjoyed it so much.
Emma has always known who she was and she always seemed to be enjoying herself. She had a lot of friends as a result. I was four years behind Emma so as she was leaving high school and young women I was coming in. A few leaders would make comments to me about following in her footsteps. Some even said she was a hard act to follow. I never really felt like I had to try to be like her though. I did some things that she did and some things that she didn't. I never wanted to compete with her because I appreciated who she was and what she did as Emma. Not me. If there was anything that I wanted to copy her in it wasn't her talents, looks, or popularity. It was her ability to lead while having fun. If Emma was in charge, she didn't lead as a tyrant but as a friend working with us. When I applied for a job at age 16 the owner asked me if I'd be okay with having my sister be a manager over me. I said I was used to having her be over me and I actually kind of liked it. The boss lady seemed pleased with my answer and my winning Miller smile and gave me the job.
Now Emma did sometimes have the reputation for being bossy. It was funny because even though she might have been I usually enjoyed being bossed around by her. Here's a funny story about that. One evening I was watching television. Emma yelled for me from upstairs. I ran up to see what she wanted. She was on the phone which was a common occurrence. She asked me if I could get her a drink. I said sure and went and got her a drink. When I returned she noticed I forgot the ice, and told me of my mistake. I went back down for the ice. She seemed pleased and released me from my duties as sister servant. I was only downstairs for a few minutes when she was calling for me again. I ran up and saw her with drink all over the place. She told me she spilled and needed towels. I ran downstairs, got towels, and started cleaning up the mess. When all was clean, she asked me for another drink. Suddenly I realized I was getting taken advantage of and told her no. It sort of bothered me that it took me that long to realize it. She just sort of had a spell over me I guess. I wasn't angry with her though. When I think back on it now, it makes me laugh. I wonder if she remembers that and if she does she probably remembers it differently than I do. Ha ha.
Another story I remember is one year we were planning stake girls camp. Emma was in Hawaii at the time going to school and being pregnant. I missed her a lot and I knew she was going through morning sickness and was having a bit of a difficult pregnancy. Anyway, during the meeting somebody brought up Emma and how awesome she was as a leader. I remembered how much fun it was having her as my leader at camp and also just to have her around. I started to cry and everyone was wondering what was wrong with me. A friend of the family told everyone of Emma's difficulties and they all gave me the chin up smile/frown and then commented on how much they all loved her.
Emma has always had a special place in my heart. I'm not sure where the bond between us came from but it has always been there. I feel like I'm her biggest fan and she's my biggest cheerleader. I'm a very closed person and I don't usually share my feelings. Sometimes with Emma I wish I could. There are times when I'll read her blog and realize that she's not giving herself the credit she deserves. That's when I wish I could call her and tell her how wonderful she is, but I let my shyness win out and I leave a cheesy comment instead. I know that's something I need to work on but I know if I'd call her she wouldn't be able to hear anything from my high pitched overly emotional voice. It's a curse I have.
She's great because she is so kind. She gives of herself so selflessly. She makes others feel like they fit in. She's multi talented. She succeeds at whatever she put effort into. She has the gift to get others to listen and follow. She's funny as all get out. She's gorgeous inside and out. She's a terrific mother. She's a great friend. She feels everything so much stronger than most others. She's brave enough to take a chance and put herself out there. She has to put up with a lot of people who give her a hard time just because they themselves are jealous. She keeps going though, and she knows enough about herself to not let them bring her down. She's loud and she's proud. Best thing about her is she's a good sister and that's why I love her.
So, that is a bit about my second sister Emma. Though I wish we lived closer because I would love to see her everyday and have fun adventures and hear her hilarious stories I know that we can still be close over the distance. We are linked forever.

11 comments:

EmmaP said...

i have no recollection of the drink incident. and i am sorry about that. for the record, i always hated being called bossy. i still cringe whenever i hear about it. i never thought of myself as bossy. I guess I used to think I was being helpful to mom. and if I was bossy, I probably thought that's how moms were supposed to act or something. Anyway, I always thought of myself more like a "delegator" not a "dictator". however, if the drink story is true, and I am sure it is, as you would never lie, then I guess i was bossy... once upon a time... a long, long, LONG time ago. Hopefully i have changed.
Man, I don't think I ever pulled off a Denise Huxtable. I mean, I think I tried to in middle school, but I don't think it worked. Thankfully, I gave it up and tried for more of a preppy look in high school! hahaha!
as far as being loud, I never tried denying it. I always admit to people that my biggest flaw is talking too much and probably too loud. I mean well, I guess I just tend to get a little animated sometimes. And I do like to have fun. I guess I am ok with that part of me. I have tried to change that part, and let's face it... it just ain't happening. hahaha! thanks for your encouraging words! love ya!

greenolive said...

I think the drink incident was pretty isolated because I don't have any other memories of anything like that. I'd do the same thing today if you asked me to. I didn't mean for it to come off as a bad story but more of a funny story. It makes me think that maybe I was your right hand man, your go to sister as such. I agree that you weren't really bossy. It was more of asking somebody to do something that you know would be beneficial for all of us. Like if you were babysitting and decided we should have ice cream, you'd tell one to get the bowls, one to get the spoons, and one to get the ice cream. See that's not really bossing it's organizing a work party.

greenolive said...

Maybe that's the point I was trying to make. You had a way of making me want to do it because it sounded fun. So maybe I do need to live near you and you can tell me to do the dishes, mop the floor, and switch the laundry over. That sounds like a great idea. I'd actually enjoy doing my housework then.

Puphigirl said...

We always like going to Emma's house because of the storytelling. It gives my lungs a great workout with all the wheezing.

EmmaP said...

Haha. If you lived closer i'd be over helping you clean... like old times. I always think its more fun to help clean other peoples stuff than mine, Haha. And I know you didn't mean to make it come off as bad. It doesn't. It's just truth. Honestly, I think there was a part of me that was a very selfish child. No one could possibly have as good ideas as me, therefore, I better just be in charge. Haha. Then, when I was in YW as beehive class pres, lavonne boyce taught me about delegating, and about trying to think of others needs and opinions. Ver6 valuable leadership skills. But I am glad I was one of the older siblings. I would have made a horrible baby sister! Lol!

okeydokeyifine said...

Awwwww. Yes, I could have died and know all would be well because Emma would have kept you all in line and kept things running.
Isn't is interesting how you all have certain strengths and funny things all individual to yourselves.

EmmaP said...

Wanna know what I hate about these blog posts? They make me so melancholy. Like, I'm sittin here all blog-stalkerish, crying, thinking, "well now I wanna post about my family!" But then if I do, you'll be sittin all.the.way.out.there. thinkin (in your high-pitched cry tone), "now I wanna post about my awesome family!" Then i'll cry & post, then you'll cry & post... such a vicious cycle. Sheesh Sarah. I'd tell you just to move and get your butt out here, but then that'd sound a lot like the old bossy me... and I am not like that ... any more.
Criminey... i'll stop commenting... well, for right now, anyway.

Kyle W Phillips said...

You know what's weird is Emma did the drink thing with me too over Easter. And I totally did go get her a drink and I forgot the ice too! She informed me that I had only done half of the job so I ran and got the ice for her drink. I think she has Jedi mind control power or something like that because I felt like I wasn't in control of my body at the time. Now we have a similar "Emma" story.

greenolive said...

Ha ha Sweet Sassy. Maybe she should be one of those goat people for the military but she can do it to terrorists.

EmmaP said...

hmmm... did I really do that at Easter? honestly, i do not recall. maybe I was joking? or perhaps I really do have a problem... geesh. sorry.

Rhonda said...

I heart Emma. :)

And if someone else is up they might as well get the ice water instead of you. Nothin' wrong with that. LOL!

You guys are a cooool set o' sistah's. If you ever wanna adopt a sad girl that grew up with 3 brothers that always and forever peed on the toilet seat...well, you know where to find me. ;)