CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Different

Last week I attended a Time Out For Women. I was listening to one sister who told a lot of personal stories and she was really funny. As I was listening to her and listening to everyone laughing I began to feel uncomfortable. I couldn't relate to her. She was speaking as if she represented women and we should know what she was talking about. I agree she was funny but I didn't agree with what she was saying. I was talking to someone else who attended about it and they said they were right with the lady and they couldn't believe how right on she was. I felt like maybe I was just a weirdo. Then I said no I'm not. I knew that the way I feel about things though they may be different than how other women may feel, is right for me.
This realization has been on my mind. Then today at church it was reiterated. Someone came to our ward today and stole someone's purse. They then went out and spent thousands of dollars before church was even over. Luckily the sister who lost her purse cancelled her cards, made a police report, and did what she needed to. They got a picture of the woman who stole the purse from security cameras and they will probably catch her soon as they also got a picture of her license plate. Anyway, I was talking to the sister who lost the purse thinking she might need a hug or something. She didn't want one. She was angry. She said if she could get "that woman" she would. Now she won't have to pay for the items bought with her cards. She may have to buy a new purse and make new copies of keys if the purse never gets found, but that will be the extent of her inconvenience.
I was a little surprised to hear her saying how angry she was. I mean, we know the lady will most likely get caught. Police were looking in the area she was shopping and they have her plate number. I don't think she'll get away with it. I would be happy in knowing that and call it good. So again I felt out of touch. But others would be like her, and be angry that they were victimized. It's all a difference in personality. I'm not saying I'm better than her, because with as angry as she was I'm sure that she will show up at that woman's trial and sentencing and make sure justice is served. I think we need people like that.
Recently I've had some blows thrown my way but my reaction to them has been to remain calm. I know there is reason behind it. I have faith and a testimony to rely on. Others will give me advice and their opinions but I have to step back and really think about what I'm doing. I know that what they would do is not what I would do. I'm different. Perhaps this is why I am different so that I can handle stressful situations calmly. I admit there have been times when I may have gotten a little worried but now I know that everything will be fine.
It reminds me again of how special each of us our. How the trials we face are meant specifically for us. Some people can handle a very hot refiner's fire while others may need it to be very mild. I know my trials are very light compared with most others. I must keep it in perspective and realize that I am the way I am for a reason.

4 comments:

Puphigirl said...

I think we are lulled into a sense of security. We don't think that there are people who would steal from a church.

Rhonda said...

I think I would be more hurt than angry. Hurt because it would be painful to have lost that last bit of cash I had in my wallet that was to replace some holey shoes my kid was wearing, or a utility bill or something.

I have been a victim and I've never felt anger so much as fear and vulnerability.

It really is interesting to see how different people are. I watched a lady come to church today after her husband just died a few days ago, not a tear in her eye...just a strong steady presence. I've also seen others experience that and then go inactive or are a tangled mess of emotion even years later.

We do all have our different trials and ways of handlings things for sure!

EmmaP said...

I would've wanted the hug if my purse got stolen. Also, this is probably why I feel "out of place" a lot too. Yesterday, I went to church in hopes to find peace and comfort over something. It was hard. I dont think the speakers really said anything I needed to hear. I am sure others needed to hear it. But afterwards, I did have a conversation with a lady and SHE did say something I felt I needed to hear. So, it was an affirmation that the lord does know and love me and hears and answers prayers. Maybe you needed time out just for that, time out from the kids. Maybe it was because someone else needed something you had to offer. Maybe, this time it just wasn't about something you needed to hear, but about your own self discovery.

okeydokeyifine said...

I am the hot head kind of person by nature and am learning to step back and take a breath, but it isn't easy. You are quite unique in your approach and I admire you greatly. I don't think you realize just how special you are. You are a quiet giant in my book. May Father continue to bless you.... but if you wants some legs or arms broken just call me...hahaha