CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Prank

I gave my oldest sister the nickname Prank. If you know her you know that she likes to play jokes and she's good at it. Now she doesn't just go around playing little gags on people here and there. She will have a target and then she will come up with a brilliant plan. She usually has cohorts to aid in carrying out the plan. The joke is played and the victim is left feeling gotten. I don't know if the ideas just come to her or if they take hours to come up with. All I know is that they are funny and unique.
Now that you know why I dubbed her Prank, let's move on to some background. Naomi was the oldest of seven kids. I viewed her as the top of the totem pole. She got to do everything first. Sometimes that was a cool thing and sometimes it was a scary thing. She handled it all well and paved the way for the rest of us. My three oldest sisters were clumped together, then a brother, and then me. So I didn't really play with them a whole lot. I do remember watching them though. I would watch them all the time just to see what they were doing. I knew I couldn't do it yet, but someday I would be able to. So it was interesting to me. I remember just watching Naomi doing her hair. She has super curly hair, so it was amazing to watch her do it. I remember her picking through it and then using White Rain mousse in it. I still love the smell of that stuff and it always reminds me of her.
She also was a talented singer and dancer. I guess I shouldn't say was. She still is. She was in choirs and the dance team, plus she would dance and sing at home. She was good enough to be in The Sound of Friends. That was a show choir in our high school. I tried out for four years to be in that choir. I never made it. So I say it was very exclusive. I enjoyed watching her be in it though. They would come to our school to perform. On one occasion they were getting ready to perform. The choir was all standing still and then they began to dance and sing. Some kids around me were freaked out because they thought my sister was a mannequin. I heard them talking about it. They were saying that she was too perfect to be real. She had awesome curly hair, very fair milky skin, she was very thin, and really pretty. I wanted to tell them that she was my sister but I didn't think they'd believe me.
When we get together nowadays, you know a game will break out. Naomi is good at games. You probably want to be on her team. Some of us talk about if our family was on a tv game show and only two or four or six people would be allowed to compete,we would have to make cuts and Naomi always was one of the contenders. She just knows stuff and she's competitive.
My sister is a good mom and wife. Her family seems so happy around each other. That's evidence that she's doing something right. She is just so well rounded. She's got the funny side, but she can also get serious and down to business. She can do anything from crafts to cooking to running a summer business. She's one of those people who you look at and wonder how they must have more hours in their day than you do. She has a family, she goes to school, she has callings at church, she was working and she's planning an internship right now, she does the family business, she works out, she keeps up with all of us via internet, and she looks good doing it all. I mean, seriously, how can somebody be so put together? Well, she is.
I think it all comes down to what kind of a person she is. She is determined. She doesn't ever think she can't do something. If she wants it, she works to get it. Maybe that bravery comes from being oldest. I don't know. Maybe her confidence comes from all her past successes. That's likely. Maybe her desire to always better herself just comes from within. I guess it doesn't matter where it all comes from but she definitely has it, whatever it is.
I know she's setting a great example for her kids, her fun awesome great kids. I mean, she's a mother of a couple teenagers and I have never seen them give her any attitude. Granted I don't get to see them very often, but still, NEVER!!! I think her kids respect her a lot.
Okay, so now that everybody knows how cool my sister is, they can see why I wish we lived CLOSER. I think if I could spend more time with her, maybe she'd begin to rub off on me. That'd be cool. Anyway, you should definitely see if she'll let you in on a prank sometime and then the fun will begin. I love her a lot and I'm glad she's the oldest. She's a good number one. I can't wait to see what she'll do next.

5 comments:

okeydokeyifine said...

Yeah, I don't know where she gets that stuff. I am just glad I have not been Puphied yet.

Ruthykins said...

i remember watching the sound of friends in elementary school. i thought she was so cool to be dancing and singing. i was really proud that she was my sister. she pulled a good prank on me once. for some reason she got a mini roll of toilet paper in a package one time. it seemed that a roll was cut in half, it was only 2 inches wide. she knew i was coming, so she loaded the roller with it. eventually i needed to use the bathroom. as soon as i walked in i about peed my pants because i saw it!

Kyle W Phillips said...

The pranks are very serious stuff to Naomi. One time I made the mistake of using her name while referencing a past prank and she was very disappointed in me. Her disappointment was manifested in a stick horse that showed up under the covers of my side of the bed. A warning that I should not speak of pranks to certain people who may be or have been targets of said pranks. On another occasion I mentioned that she and her gang spent an awful lot of time on other peoples birthday pranks and hardly any time was spent on the birthdays of the husbands of the pranksters. This was viewed as an invitation to dream of a new prank and a new target, me. The prank was planned and executed leading up to my birthday. On my birthday I had worked late and as I came home I noticed my Elcamino was outside in front of the house. Normally it would be in the garage and not running so my thought turned to the possibility that she paid someone to get it running for my birthday as a gift to me. As I got to the driveway I noticed somebody was sitting in the passenger seat. Odd. I got out of my car and looked at the Elcamino and noticed that the person in the passenger seat was actually a blow up doll. Yeah, one of those blow up dolls. The Elcamino had been pushed out of the garage and then the interior had been "pimped" for my birthday as one of their successful pranks. Dingle balls pinned to the headliner, condoms, garter belts, blow up doll sporting a teddy, blow up doll patch kit, shaggy blue dice, fur lined steering wheel, underpants, and business cards were made stating that certain romantic services could be purchased. Many of my birthdays have long since been forgotten as they were unmemorable but that is one I remember very well still. Yeah, she loves pranks.

Puphigirl said...

Hey, thanks for the inspirational message that I am determined and can do anything I put my mind to.

As far as the pranks, yes I am in cahoots with cohorts. There is some planning, but oft times it just comes to us. My little troop goes by the name Lee Harvey Oswald. I am Oswald.

To clarify, Kyle ratted us out to one of our victims, so of course retribution had to be taken. He got a horse's head in the bed a la Godfather.

EmmaP said...

fun stuff. i love how kyle thought his wife was doing something sweet for his birthday and it turned out to be a prank... not quite as disappointing as the year he got a desk insead of the motorbike, but still funny.

i am grateful to have never been pranked by naomi.