CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Delivery

My due date was June 4th. After the 4th came and went my impatience peaked. My four boys went to stay with the Barclay's on Wed. the 3rd. So not only was I waiting and waiting but I also didn't have the boys to distract me. Friday morning I woke up at 5 am and I just couldn't sleep. By 6:30 I decided to go for a walk. I went for a loooong walk, which felt good because it was cool and quiet and very peaceful, but it did not throw me into labor as I had hoped. My friend knew that the boys were gone so she asked if she could take me to lunch. I went out and I could start to feel some light contractions but I didn't start timing them until 2 pm. She decided we should go walking after lunch. We headed to the mall and my contractions were pretty regular about 45 min. apart. We walked for about two hours and they ended up being around every 1/2 hour. I got home and took a nap because I was pretty tired from waking up early and walking all day.

I woke up that evening and Tony said he'd go on a walk with me. We went for a walk with the contractions being 15 min. apart and when we got home they were about 5 min. apart. It was 10 pm. I called the doctor and he told me to go on to the hospital. My friend Ellen wanted to be there so she came along. When I got there my contractions were only 13 min. apart. I was disappointed. But I had dialated to a four so they told me to go walk for an hour and then they'd check again. Ellen and I walked for an hour. I was having the contractions still but they didn't seem to be getting an closer or harder. I was worried they would send me home or something.
When we got back to the room they said I was at a 6 so they admitted me and moved me to a birthing room. Then they hooked me up to all the monitors. Then we just waited and waited. Not much at all was happening. I knew I wanted an epideral this time so I kept asking for one but they explained they didn't want to give it to me too early. So we waited. Then they gave me an IV to run pitocin which worried me because I was afraid I would get too far into labor and not be able to have an epidural. The nurse didn't seem to understand what I was telling her. That is exactly what happened with Brandis and I didn't want it to happen again. So Ellen decided to be my spokesperson and talk them into giving me the epidural.
My contractions were still not that close together and they were still not painful, which I thought was very strange, but I was at an 8 so they gave me the epidural and took me off of pitocin. I had never had an epidural before so I didn't know what to expect. My legs ended up going totally numb. I could not feel them at all. It was totally freaky deaky. After I couldn't feel anything I fell back asleep because by this time it was like 5 or 6 in the morning. Ellen had to leave at 7:30 so she was really sad that the baby was taking her time. Then the doctor came in at 11 or so and checked me and said I could go ahead and push because the head was right there.
The doctor asked Tony if he wanted to hold my leg. Tony looked at him with big eyes and told him he always stands at my head. The doctor got him a chair and put it right next to the bed. Tony looked at him and told him that was still a little close. Then he stood in the corner practically behind my head. It was so funny. I'm laughing just remembering it. The doctor and the nurse just chuckled. I tried to push but I couldn't feel anything. The dr. told me I wasn't pushing. He told me to cough. I did, he said cough harder. Tony just laughed at me. After awhile I finally figured out the pushing thing. It took me longer than usual to push the baby out, I think because I probably still wasn't pushing right. I usually only have to push through two or three contractions. So this one I think I pushed through six or more. Anyway she finally came out. YAY!!! After she came out the doctor looked at Tony and told him to sit down. He was so pale. He said he almost passed out. That's pretty typical of him.
So that was how the delivery went this time. I didn't feel any pain at all. The feeling in my legs finally came back late that night and everything went well. She was born Sat. June 6th at 11:34 am. She was 20 3/4 inches and 7 lbs. 4 oz. She has dark hair and really long fingers and toes. Here are some pictures of Taygan Dare Bullock.





5 comments:

Puphigirl said...

I think she looks like a female Koen.

I remember when I had my first epidural, and my legs went numb, I had the sobering thought of, "So, this is what it's like to be paralyzed."

Springbubble said...

sarah your daughter is s0o0oo cute. i'm following your blog that's y im updated. c0ngratulati0ns! lea.

Ruthykins said...

well, she's definately related.

okeydokeyifine said...

Awwwwwwww.

EmmaP said...

i remember the nurse told me ahead of time that when it was time to push to put my chin to my chest and "focus" on pushing... don't really understand how it works, but it did... like a charm. i guess some of us are just talented! ;) just kidding...

anyway...she looks like you! way cute!