CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 9, 2009

Marshmallow Test


I saw this test on YouTube where they give a kid a marshmallow and tell him he could eat it now or wait till they come back and they would give him another one so he'd have two. They then leave the kid alone in the room with the marshmallow for 15 min. while watching him in another room. Most kids waited for the second marshmallow and only a few ate it. Some wouldn't touch it, but others would lick it, pinch off a piece, smell it, smoosh it, etc. They then watched the kids over the next 18 years and the ones that displayed the self control with the marshmallow were better disciplined, smarter (probably from good study habits), and more successful. I decided to try a small experiment myself with my boys. I gave them each a piece of candy and told them the deal of one now or two later. Then I left the room. I saw Koen pop his in his mouth as I was walking away. No self control whatsoever. Big surprise. Brandis ate his of course, he's too young to get it. Eades waited a little bit and then I heard him open the wrapper and I peeked to see him chewing. Dougan was just sitting there holding his. I came back in and gave Dougan his second piece. Koen thought that wasn't fair. I explained the rules again and told him he failed. He wanted another try. Then I made them watch the YouTube video. Koen doesn't believe in it. Boy do I have my work cut out for me.

6 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

I've watched this on T.V. where it was all about self-control. Most of the children that tried it failed, but the few that sat and waited were actually shown to have more self-control and confidence than the one's that ate their marshmallow straight away. I think that it's a good idea, and maybe help obese children.
All good things are worth waiting for, but if it were me, then I'm afraid that ALL the marshmallows would be toasted or put into hot chocolate as soon as I got them!

okeydokeyifine said...

I wonder what you would have done as a child?

greenolive said...

I think I would have waited out of pure greed. because two is better than one.

Ruthykins said...

i don't know what i would have done as a child. i'd be torn.

EmmaP said...

it would depend on how long i'd have to wait. i mean, if it was too long, i'd worry about all of the dust that would be settling on that 1st marshmallow. in which case by the time the second marshmallow arrived, the first one wouldn't be good anyway... ergo, it is really just a replacement of the first so then it is like the first marshmallow went to waste and my time was wasted... yeah, this would have been the mental anguish going through my mind if i had to sit there waiting as a child... though i would have waited, i am positive i would have licked it, y'know to make sure it wasnt a complete waste.

Marie said...

I love it! I'm checking the book out at the library tomorrow! I wonder what my kids will do?