CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bad Day.

I had jury duty this week. Mon. and Tues. they didn't need us, but today I had to go in. Somehow I ended up on the jury. I really expected them to take one look at my belly and let me go but that was not the case. So I didn't have a cell phone, I couldn't call long distance, I had no debit card to buy food, and I had things to do today. Last night I had to wake the boys up at 11 pm to take Tony into work so I could have the van. Then I carried each one back into the house because they were all sleeping when I got back. Then I got a little sleep and then got in the shower and got all the boys ready to go. I dropped the younger two off at a friends and the older two off at a neighbors to catch the bus. Then I hot-tailed it to the courthouse.
It was a long long wait. Then jury selection started, and then I somehow ended up being on there. I needed to call Ellen to let her know I wouldn't be coming home in time to pick anybody up from school or to do the other things I was supposed to do. I couldn't call her though and some nice lady let me use her cell phone. I left a message for Ellen, I think she must have been picking Tony up from work when I called. On the message I left instructions of when everyone needed picking up and what time they needed to be at the ball diamond for pictures and a game but I had know idea if she could do any of it.
When I left the courthouse I came home as quickly as possible. I got the boys dressed in their uniforms and ran them to the diamonds. We were 45 min. late. Ellen had scouts and that's why she didn't take them already. On the way there I found out that nobody got Koen off the bus and Ellen got a call from the bus depot to come get him. I don't quite know what the mix-up there was. Anyway we got to the game and they played great. Dougan ended up getting the game ball for his excellent batting skills. He was very excited about that. Then we ran and got their pictures taken and they will be super imposed into the team photo. Then we rushed to church because we were 20 min. late for the yw activity. Luckily another leader was running the show just great on her own.
Then we got something to eat on the way home because I found out none of them had dinner and Eades didn't even have lunch yet. When I got home I made some important phone calls to cancel my dr. appt. and set things up for tomorrow when I must be away again. The thing is that all of this is just a major inconvenience. It's not enough to keep me off the jury and as a citizen of this country it is my civic duty to take my turn and serve. I understand all of this and yet somehow I still feel like they should have let me off. Maybe it's because I saw all the people who were dismissed before my number was even called, and I'm comparing myself to them. But really today was kind of disastrous because of my having jury duty. Well, I hope tomorrow goes better now that I know what I need to plan for.

7 comments:

Ruthykins said...

don't you know that the way to stay off a jury is to be really opinionated and say that if someone is arrested then they are probably guilty. sheesh, you're supposed to lie.

greenolive said...

they didn't ask me for my opinion on anything. I explained my discomfort of sitting all day being pregnant. I explained I have children at home. Apparently they don't care. The things that got people off were things that were already written on the questionaire that had to do with the case.

EmmaP said...

on the questionaaire you write this, "i dont like no one. peeples make me angree. i only like the whites, like me. i no like none of dem ol peeples neither. i dont like men. dey is pigs. once i was arestid but it aint my fault."

then as when they get to you, you just start grabbing your belly and jumping up and down a little. if they dont notice that, start leaning forward and moaning. if all else fails, pour water down your pants and then stand up and yell, "i think my water broke..."

if anything - at least SQUIRM in your seat, TONS. Act agitated. Act uncomfortable. IT should be a stretch... cuz you DO have a hard time sitting all day. Maybe they'll get a replacement for you.

EmmaP said...

oh - and also - next time on your form write, "i loves the govment. if it aint for dem, my babies an i dont eat. love dem food stamp cards y'all gives out..."

EmmaP said...

ooops and i meant it should NOT be a stretch...

Puphigirl said...

Emma, I was cracking up reading your comment.

okeydokeyifine said...

My answer would be that I believe in capital punishment and OH Well if we found our later that they were innocent. I also would say that I am prejudiced. I don't have to answer what about, just prejudiced.