CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Blankets

Our ward has been asked to make blankets for people in Haiti. We were only asked to make 13 but they had to be made to certain specifications and they must be done by next Saturday. I was there yesterday for about 4 hours. I had a great time. I mostly did tying. I hated having to leave last night. We only had three quilts completed. I dreamt about it all night. Every time I close my eyes I see the blankets. I really want to go today but I can't figure out what to do with the kids. I'll probably get to go for a couple hours right before Tony goes to work but I know it's going to kill me all day to not be there. I'll probably do some calling around later this morning to give people a chance to wake up and then hopefully I can find someone who wouldn't mind taking them for a while.
Anyway, last night when I was there, I started work on a blanket that one brother had started. Of course he wasn't doing it the normal way so two sisters explained to me his method and I began working. He came back and he worked with me. Then another brother showed up and he asked what he should do. Nobody wanted to give him a job so I said he could come tie while the other brother and I threaded the blankets with yarn. I forgot to mention that the one that started the blanket was using orange thread. There wasn't enough for the whole blanket so we needed to find two more colors to go with it. The blanket itself was a grayish blue. We didn't have a lot of choices and I knew I couldn't use any reds, pinks or browns because they all clashed. I opted for a blue. Then we needed a third color. I held some colors up to it and then chose black. The brother thought that was a good idea.
As the brother began threading the black one sister began throwing a fit. She marched right over there and told him he could not use black. He told her he thought it looked nice. He was totally taking the heat for the choice. I said that I thought it looked nice too. He just kept working even with her over his shoulder shaking her head. It was so funny. The other brother seemed offended that she was telling us what to do with our quilt so for the rest of the night he kept talking about how great this quilt was looking and that the black just really made it pop. I was giggling on the inside. After we finished two sisters came to check our work. They scoured the blanket looking for mistakes. They didn't find any. It really was beautiful. Then everyone there had to admit that the black did look great even the one that threw the fit earlier.
So now you see why I want to get back there so bad. lol.

4 comments:

Puphigirl said...

It is funny how women think that men can't do women things like make a quilt.

okeydokeyifine said...

I am wishing I could be there to watch the rug rats AKA grandchildren, and also to smile at you for your diplomacy and kindness.

Ruthykins said...

snap! i love it when people are so opinionated! it was nice that even she said it looked nice.

EmmaP said...

one year i did 9 quilts by myself. found the tying went faster with the up-down method. muh easier than old-fashioned "tying"... anyway, i gave them all to the children's hospital. although i loved picking out the coordinating fabrics and yarn, by the time i was finished with that 9th one, was muttering... "if i never tie another quilt so long as i live it will be too soon!" hahahahaha!