CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Garlic Solution

My two youngest have had earaches. I took them to the doctor and got them started on antibiotics. I also took Dougan in and he just had a bad cold. So a couple days after that Eades got an earache. It was 11 pm and Tony was at work. The other kids were all still not feeling well. I really didn't want to take all the kids to the ER because I knew it would be awful. I text messaged Tony to wake me up when he got home so I could take Eades in. I figured it would only be a few hours away and Eades would just have to wait it out. But Eades was crying and I could tell he was in obvious pain. I remembered a commercial about home remedies and it said to use a blow dryer. I put it on low medium heat. He said it helped a bit but after I stopped it hurt really bad again. I knew I couldn't just sit in the bathroom blowing into his ear for a few hours. I decided to put the internet to good use and see if there was a way to relieve the pain. I found a website that used home remedies. It said to make some garlic oil. I got out my olive oil and some minced garlic and mixed it together and put it in the microwave to heat up. I then stirred it some more and waited till it wasn't too hot anymore got rid of the garlic and got a dropper. Eades was a little scared about the whole thing but very willing to try it because his ear hurt so much. As soon as I put some of the oil in he relaxed. I massaged his ear and neck like the website said and then we drained his ear. He said it didn't hurt anymore at all. I did it again 30 min. later just because it said you might need to repeat it. He was fine. It worked. Yeah, I was so excited. Eades went back to bed and slept the rest of the night. He went all day yesterday without any problems and even another night. His ear doesn't hurt at all. I don't know why I'm so amazed by it but I sure do wish doctors could just prescribe garlic oil because it's quicker and not as torturous as thick antibiotics twice a day for five days.

5 comments:

Puphigirl said...

I'll have to remember this the next time one of the kids have an earache.

Ruthykins said...

that's neat.

EmmaP said...

sometimes people get earaches as a result from pressure from colds or wax buildup. other times it could be an ear infection. so, the dr's all probably wanna make sure it's not the infection. who knows...

aunt lorene use to buy "spirits of camphor" over the counter. Then when one of her kids had swimmer's ear, or an ear ache, she'd soak a cotton ball in the camphor, and put it in the ear, securing it by placing a piece of medical tape on the out side of the ear. She'd have them lie down so it woul dain a few drops in the ear.

One of my kids had a bad earache once - but it turned out just to be wax buildup... gross. i almost threw up as the dr flushed it out. then he told me to do this at home the next few days, since he could still see more. Make a "water bath" in a plastic container (he gave me one of those hospital barf pans) of warm water and peroxide. Lay a towel on my lap. Have the plastic bin on my lap and the child kneel down next to me and lean overthe pan while flushing out the ear. I used a ball syringe and filled it with the wash and then squirted it into the childs ear. He would then lean over the bin as I continued to flush his ear out. eventually, another ball of wax came out. i just about threw up, but he felt better.

anyway, so now if my kids complain of the slightest ear pain, i place a few drops of peroxide in their ear, tell them to go lie down, to let it drain into their ear. I tell them when they stop hearing it bubble, then we will flush it out with warm water. I have never had any more waxy balls emerge - which is fine by me- but it has saved me a ton of $ from going to the insta care.

now, if they run a fever WITH the earache, that is another story... then i take them in for sure!

okeydokeyifine said...

so glad the oil and heat worked. An earache is a terrible thing. Drs are now getting away from peroxide, too simple? too damaging?
I have use the camphor on my own ear and it is warm and only needs a few drops. It kinda brings tears to your eyes so if the oil works I would stick with that. Hey, how about making a little booklet and sharing it with the family and we could all try them as the need arises and you will have done all the searching for us in advance so that all we need to do is turn to the right page... just a thought

greenolive said...

It would be a very small book based on my knowledge now. Um that's something to think about.